Thursday, April 1, 2010

Roisin Coyle

SOLD
Artist: Roisin Coyle
Title: Shadow Theatre
Medium: Monotype and watercolour
'My practice is narrative and explores memory, solitary experience and the individual's understanding in environmental space. In my practice I create multi-sensory, interactive, site -specific installations in which the spectator becomes fully immersed in their own experiential sphere. I am interested in the way the viewer navigates through a space in their own particular way and how this can evoke emotions and unlock memories within the psyche, thus enticing the viewer to become a participant as opposed to an audience. I'm also intrigued by spatial awareness and the overwhelming feeling of a space being too large. I often use humour and a playful element to invite the spectator to experience my installations drawing on anthropology, folklore, theatrical experience and the gothic.
I have been researching the theatrical narrative found in grottoes, altars and Mexican retablos and how these capture and freeze memories and moments in time. I'm interested in combining this form with kinetics, forming a tactile experience. The more interactive a piece is, the more it becomes the spectator's sensual experience. Through research I've also been drawn to the work of William Kentridge and Calder's Miniature Circus and Teatro de los Sentidos, all of whom have had a huge influence on my work. I employ mediums of monoprint, drawing, sound, light (or lack of) in my installations and work with composers, animators and writers/poets to enhance the work. I find collaboration pushes the boundaries of my practice and adds an interesting and inspiring new dimension to my work process.
for more information see http://www.roisincoyle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment