Thursday, April 1, 2010

Isabelle Gaborit

Artist: Isabelle Gaborit
Title: Deeper than you think
Medium: Mixed media on canvas

In my work I am dealing with fragments of memory and isolated thoughts like a personal jigsaw. The end effect plays on different layers, planes or levels. The eye of the viewer is drawn into the painting, into details, floating, drifting across the ethereal outlines of fragments of a story. Structures build on top of one another in layers, creating veils. I mainly explore the concept of fragmentation of time over one another, and my body of work is an attempt to remember and look underneath, to weave these pieces together, in other words, to unwrap the numerous layers and to offer the viewer a space in between, a void in the midst of reality and memory.
I use the layering of mixed media, collage and paint to explore a personal lore, a viewable expression of the many facets of my thoughts. I combine and overlap found objects and drawings I created, leaving them exposed but also concealed within the work.
Veils become translucent and reveal hints of past forms, layers of textured strucures and colour.
Each drawing is fragmented and isolated like a lost memory. Remaining are fragments, incomplete, unfinished, broken or torn off, the extant scrap of what was once familiar.
For more information see www.artspacegalway.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment